Running Day to day task as an entrepreneur isn't easy. You will think working as your boss will be easier until the realities set in. The common struggles most female entrepreneurs talk about is fatigue, burnout and sleep issues. Sure the money part comes up as well, but achieving the money goal will require you to be hail and hearty. So Let's address your body in this article.
As you might have noticed on my website, I am a health coach and also run my other business. Juggling all these together is fulfilling; however, one huge aspect I had to wake up to was the effect of compromising adequate sleep.
I want to share with you the doable steps I took to start sleeping better and feeling more healthier in My Body, which you can try out as well.
Go to bed at a non-negotiable time.
You see, I noticed that as female entrepreneurs, what happens is that we get our body used to, you know, working longer hours, and for me, it started by shifting my bedtime from 9 to 10, to 11 pm, to 12 am, to 1 am. And then it got to 2 am. Sometimes you loose focus on time.
I stretched my body.
I noticed the body would adjust at some point to this unhealthy pattern, but if you listen well enough, your body will start giving you signs you. And your physical look will also communicate that to you in the mirror. When you look at yourself in the mirror, you can tell your body is stressed. And quite frankly, if anything is to be done. The first thing you need to do is to unlearn the pattern. it's not going to be easy. But you will have to do it for your body to recuperate very well every day.
So here's what I did… I made going to bed at 10-10:30 pm non-negotiable.
Create a Relaxation Routine
There are two ways you relax your body to get into that rest mode faster.
So what I worked for me is meditation. Meditation can come in many forms; for me, the kind of meditation I do is the Christian kind of meditation. And there are apps on the Apple store that you can get or on Play Store. Specifically, I use Abide App and the Pray App, both work for me just fine and relaxes me. The point is You want to try to calm your mind down, to stop your mind from wandering, a lot, Add some breathing exercises, I started using the balance App recently, and I feel it is a lovely one. I'm always wary of the woo woo kind of thing. So, if I sense any funny thing around Balance App, I'll stop it.
Another thing you want to do is to relax your body. Now with meditation, what you've done is to relax your mind. Next is to relax your body.
- So close your eyes and relax your face, relax the muscle around your jaws, your tongue and the muscles around your eyes.
- Drop your shoulders as far as it can go, as well as you upper and lower arm one side at a time
- Breathe out, relax your chest and work down to your thighs and going downwards.
I wish I can tell you this will be an easy process, but it can take one time getting used to, and you will be amazed at the effect on your body.
Drink Tart Cherry Juice
Tart cherry juice has been reported to treat insomnia and improve the quality of sleep every night. Tart cherry juice, in particular, contains many beneficial plant compounds and nutrients compared to sweet cherry juice. It could increase the body's melatonin levels which help to reduce symptoms of insomnia and improve sleep quality.
So what I do is drink it once per day.
Try out Ashwagandha
Ashwagandha is great for so many reasons like it helps reduce blood sugar, lowers cholesterol levels, may help reduce stress and anxiety, and may reduce symptoms of depression. It also improves the quality of sleep.
The leaves of the ashwagandha plant contain a compound called triethylene glycol, which helps in inducing sleep. These help promote sleep induction.
You can have it as a drink or supplement, but for now, I take it as a supplement once per day.
Don't Bite more than You can chew.
As an entrepreneur, you almost feel like you can manage and juggle a lot of things efficiently. And that's where the problem is you cos the more you set yourself up With many tasks daily, the sooner you're going to burn yourself out.
Here's my suggestion which is working for me,
- pick one or two very important things in your business that you must do without fail daily, which can move the needle for you.
- Then sort other priorities out by scheduling, now arrange or plan them in order of importance and get to work on them ONLY after you have done the two major task in your business.
I noticed that since I started working this way, I don't end the day feeling like I haven't done enough cos I attended to the main tasks daily, and the progress is trackable. The other tasks are attended to with no pressure and anyone I can't complete that day can wait for all I care till the next day or next time I'm ready to work on it.
I'll like you to shift your perspective on sleep.
- See sleep as a gift. I know, in one of my other articles, I mentioned this, but sleep is a gift that you can give yourself, and your body deserves it.The reason you set out to be An entrepreneur is that you want to create an impact, but you can't create an impact when your health is compromised. You don't want to be distracted about any unfavourable news about whatever is going on in your body. So please don't lead your body down on that path. Sleep is a gift, and you are highly deserving of it, give your body the 'sleep treat' daily. Your body will say vibrantly thank you.
- You need sleep to progress, very well in your business. It's intangible but highly crucial to maintain the healthy body you need so you can do whatever so plan to.
I'll however advise you discuss with your doctors before trying any supplement. Now, let me know what you think in the comment below, and I'll talk to you some other time.